2004 Measure J
In November 2004, Contra Costa County voters approved Measure J with a 71% vote. The measure provided for the continuation of our county's half-cent transportation sales tax for 25 more years beyond the original expiration date of 2009. As with Measure C (the original 1988 transportation sales tax measure), the tax revenues will be used to fund a voter-approvedExpenditure Plan of transportation programs and projects. The renewal of the tax means that many major improvements in our transportation system will become a reality, and some key projects can be undertaken sooner than originally planned.
Measure J Transportation Expenditure Plan
Measure J will provide approximately $2.5 billion for countywide and local transportation projects and programs through the year 2034. The Authority worked for over two years, along with local governments, organizations, and residents to develop the Expenditure Plan, which specifies how the funds will be spent. The Plan received the support of every Contra Costa city and town as well as the County Board of Supervisors.
Some Plan Highlights Include:
- I-680 Carpool Lane Gap Closure/Transit Corridor Improvements
- $360 million for local streets and roads maintenance and improvement
- eBART - East Contra Costa Rail Extension
- A new 4th bore for the Caldecott Tunnel
- State Route 4 East Widening
- $123 million for transit for seniors and people with disabilities
- Revising the Growth Management Program to encourage more housing in some communities
- Requirement that all Contra Costa County cities, towns and the Board of Supervisors approve an Urban Limit Line
For more information on Measure J projects including financial plans, please refer to the Strategic Plan.
- Original Measure J Transportation Sales Tax Expenditure Plan [PDF - 5.1 MB]
- Measure J Expenditure Plan Adopted November 2, 2004 as Amended Through November 7, 2011 [PDF - 1.3 MB]
- Ordinance 06-01 [PDF - 2.8 MB] amending and restating sales tax Ordinance 88-01 to make non-substantive changes and conform to existing conditions
- Ordinance 06-02 [PDF - 777 KB] amending and restating the Measure C Transportation Expenditure Plan to make non-substantive changes and insert specific provisions moved from Ordinance 88-01
- Measure J Project Fact Sheets