Bollinger Canyon Road – Iron Horse Trail Bicycle and Pedestrian Overcrossing
Located in the City of San Ramon, the overcrossing will provide cyclists and pedestrians with a safe and convenient bridge between key areas, including:
- City Center
- Iron Horse Trail (IHT)
- Bishop Ranch Business Park
- Central Park
- San Ramon Library
- San Ramon City Hall
- Iron Horse Middle School
- San Ramon Transit Center
This project will be the first of two bridge projects that improve bicycle and pedestrian access and safety along the Iron Horse Trail.
The project includes a 200 foot-long cable stayed bridge with a single support in the median of Bollinger Canyon Road. Approaches include a combination of a concrete bridge with edge girders and mechanically stabilized earth abutments. When completed, the overcrossing will become part of the lron Horse Trail.
Beginning the week of July 31, 2023, the following construction impacts are expected for 18 to 24 months:
- Installation of a long-term lane closure on Bollinger Canyon Road around a portion of the median in front of City Hall, to build the center tower of the overcrossing. One lane on each side of the median on Bollinger Canyon Road will be closed. The left turn lane into City Hall will not be impacted; the left turn lane into Bishop Ranch 1 East will be closed.
- Intermittent daily lane closures on Bollinger Canyon Road from Alcosta Boulevard to Camino Ramon.
- Construction zone speed limit reduction to 30 mph
- Closure of the north side of the Iron Horse trail adjacent to Bollinger Canyon Road for the duration of the project; a pedestrian/bike detour will be in place. (At a later date, closure of the south side of the Iron Horse trail adjacent to Bollinger Canyon Road will also be implemented; a pedestrian/bike detour will be in place.)
See the City of San Ramon’s project page for full details